There were events on Saturday 15 June 2019 at all five stations along the line to celebrate the event – with the excitement and added bonus of two steam engines (Clun Castle and Flying Scotsman) passing through on excursions.
The celebrations at Radley began with the unveiling of a permanent board with a timeline of the history of Radley Station on the railings at Radley Station (on platform 1 for trains to Oxford and beyond). Radley History Club is very grateful for the grants from the Greening Lamborn Trust, Radley Village Shop, Radley Parish Council and GWR to cover the cost of the board. Entikera Limited provided extensive and indispensable support in kind.
Events then moved to the garden of the Bowyer Arms where there was:
a display of railway pictures and artefacts by Radley History Club, Friends of Radley Station and former railwayman and Radley resident Vic Gackowski, and the reminiscences of Harold Gasson, a former GWR fireman
storytellers Polly Mountain and Ed Blagrove in costume relating tales about Radley and the railway line
a display of work by children from Radley Primary School about the railway
Over 300 people visited the Club’s exhibition in Radley Village Hall on 2nd and 3rd November 2013 about the railway in Radley, its history, the people who used it and the people who worked on it. They were also able to enjoy refreshments provided by Radley WI and to buy a copy of the Club’s new book, Radley People & the Railway 1843-2013, written by Club chairman Christine Wootton with contributions from members and others.
The exhibition was opened by Richard Tolley, a former engine driver on the branch line from Radley to Abingdon (affectionately known as ‘The Bunk’) who blew his whistle and waved his green flag in the railway’s traditional signal. Richard is pictured alongside the ‘stationmaster’ for the day, Eric Blanks, and Club chairman, Christine Wootton.
The displays were put together by Club members, Rita and Brian Ford. The collection of railway memorabilia included the ‘Radley’ nameplate normally on show at the shop at Radley College.
The exhibition was based primarily on photographs and other material from the Club’s archives, Club members and local railway enthusiasts. One series of photographs showed the impressive array of buildings at Radley Station in 1957 – now all long since gone – and another the stages in the replacement of the bridge over the railway carrying the road to Lower Radley in November 1983.
Visitors were greeted by a team of Club members dressed for the part. Left to right: Eric Blanks (stationmaster), Brian Ford (porter), Tony Rogerson (engine driver) and Denis Standen (Isambard Kingdom Brunel).