Archives

Will of Richard Chayne, 1537 (reproduced by permission of the Berkshire Record Office, cat ref: D/A1/51/189)
Will of Richard Chayne, 1537 (reproduced by permission of the Berkshire Record Office, cat ref: D/A1/51/189)

Details of the various documents, photographs, maps, audiovisual material and books held by Radley History Club are given in the archive catalogue. Within the catalogue, items are listed in 17 subject categories (e.g. Church, Farms and land, People, Places, Primary School) by the type of material (e.g. document, photograph). See the archive catalogue for details of what the various topic categories cover. See below for some more examples from the Club’s archive collection.

The Club is fortunate in having an extensive collection of transcriptions into understandable English of the wills of various Radley people who lived between the mid 16th century and the second half of the 19th century. See the archive catalogue for a listing of these transcriptions by surname and by date.

The Club’s journal collection consists of selected issues of a variety of local and national series, the longest being copies of the current parish magazine, Radley News, and its predecessors. The archive catalogue contains lists of the issues held of each title.

Go to the Archive Catalogue

How to consult the Club’s archives

Radley Church in the 1880s
Radley Church in the 1880s
Former thatched cottage at the junction of Church Road and Whites Lane, Radley, opposite the Church
Former thatched cottage at the junction of Church Road and Whites Lane, Radley, opposite the Church
Radley Primary School pupils, 1901
Radley Primary School pupils, 1901
Charles Ambridge (stationmaster) and staff pictured at Radley Station in the 1890s
Charles Ambridge (stationmaster) and staff pictured at Radley Station in the 1890s
Lower Radley scene, 1937
Lower Radley scene, 1937
Peter and Mary Minns of Lower Radley, c.1902
Peter and Mary Minns of Lower Radley, c.1902
Map showing land in north Radley wned by members of the Dockar-Drysdale family in 1944
Map showing land in north Radley owned by members of the Dockar-Drysdale family in 1944