The village of Radley in Oxfordshire is on the River Thames between Abingdon and Oxford. Formerly in Berkshire, Radley has a history dating back for thousands of years to Neolithic times. From late Saxon times until 1538 the village was part of Abingdon Abbey’s extensive landholdings. The current church was founded by the Abbey around 1300 and the timber-framed vicarage dates from the 13th or 14th century. Two of the fine thatched cottages in Lower Radley (once the main part of the village) date from the 16th century. Until recently the village was primarily agricultural, with most of the population working the land. Today most of the farm buildings have been put to other uses and very few residents have connections with farming. Radley today is perhaps best known for its station on the Oxford–Didcot railway line and for the public school, Radley College.
Radley History Club seeks to:
- research and record local history
- offer an interesting series of monthly talks about the history of the local area
- arrange visits to local sites of historical interest
Meetings with a speaker are held on the second Monday of the month (apart from August) in Radley Church at 7.30 pm. New members and guests are always welcome. More about the Club’s meetings and how to join
The Club has an ever-expanding collection of archives – photographs, maps, documents, books, audiovisual and transcriptions of wills. It also has a growing library of oral history – audio recordings of interviews with residents telling their memories.
The findings of research projects carried out by the Club over the last 20 years are detailed in various books and booklets. Copies of the Club’s publications are available to buy online and from Radley Village Shop. Postcards produced by the Club featuring scenes around Radley are also available to buy from the Village Shop.
World War Two Memories A series of short accounts – some about the experiences of individual Radley residents and some about life on the home front Learn more