Radley History Club logo

Radley Primary School

   

The village school, adjoining the churchyard, was probably built in 1871 under the provisions on the 1870 Education Act. The school house, owned by the church, is a very much older building. In 1892 a new classroom for the infants was built on the end of the school room, forming the building that can still be seen today adjourning the school house. A lavatory was added in 1895 and a cloakroom in 1905. The Old School Building is still used as a computer room and library, looking from the outside much as it did at the end of the 19th century – bar the ramp and railing to allow disabled access (which meant pulling down the cloakroom). Today's pupils are taught in a building erected in the late 1950s and extended in the 1960s. The latest extension to provide new offices and space for the Foundation Unit opened in 2008.

The school's history is detailed in the Radley History Club publication, The History of Radley C E Primary School. This focuses on the people (staff and pupils) drawing extensively on the school's log books.

School House adjoirning the Old School Building
Radley Primary School today School House next to the Old School Building
Radley Primary School today Radley Primary School today Old School Building
 
Back to About Radley

 

 

 

 

Accessibility